Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Streets of Boise

Hello? Is this thing on?
Ahem.

I guess this is my first post on this blog (even though Alyssa created it months ago). I figured it was about time that I wrote something on here.

Boise has turned out to be a really great city to live in. My favorite thing about it (besides Alyssa) is the one way grid they have set up. It runs throughout all the city center (about 1 to 2 miles of one way streets back and forth). What I really like about it are the stop lights.

The stop lights are timed perfectly so that you never have to stop. The first light you stop at will likely be the last light you stop at (if you're just going in a straight line anyway). What I mean is: when the light you're stopped at turns green, the light on the next block is timed to turn green a few seconds later, making it so you never have to stop until you've reached the street you are trying to get to. I find it to be very efficient. Also since Boise has so little traffic it means that it almost never gets backed up. Alyssa and I have been in only one traffic jam, but that was during rush hour so it's understandable.

I ride my bike to work. We paid $35 for it used from a seller on Craigslist. We ended up paying more than the price of the bike for the helmet, lock, and tire pump. But those were costs that would have been necessary with the purchase of any bike. The one way streets are pretty nice as a cyclist. Boise is a Bicycle Friendly City, so most of the sidewalks are wide enough that I can ride my bike on them. The one way streets make it a lot easier to cross intersections safely, so that's another bonus to a one way grid.

Today Alyssa and I went on a casual bike ride. It was really great just exploring around some of the back roads behind the town. On our way home we saw a fox! It was running along about 30 feet away from us in the grass. We stopped and watched it for a little while, but it was starting to rain so we couldn't stay for too long. I wanted to take it home with us, but Alyssa wouldn't allow it. Something about a non-domesticated, potentially rabid animal just didn't sit right with her. I guess all that advice I've heard about "making a decision as a couple" really just means "if the wife doesn't want to catch a fox, you don't get to catch a fox." Oh well.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you guys like Boise so much especially since you have a job offer there. Of course, I'd much rather you came back here, but I know so much depends on where you get a job. I want you to be happy wherever it is that you end up. I'm surprised to hear you say that you like the one way streets. They always frustrate me in DC and Baltimore and even a little bit in Frederick because it's hard to keep track of which ones go which way at what times. In Baltimore I've found myself getting deeper and deeper into bad areas and not knowing how to get out. Some of them change directions at different times, at least in DC. As much as Alyssa likes animals, I'm a little surprised that she didn't go for it when you wanted to bring the fox home. I must say, I'm pretty glad you didn't bring it home though. I'm excited to see you guys in August after our cruise! I'm anxious to spend more time with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha no fox... thank goodness for wives. Who knows what our husbands would come home with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder why other cities don't have a traffic system like that. It's probably pretty complicated to change that kind of thing. Sounds like a very pleasant place. I also like that you guys have been riding bikes and having adventures; it makes me want to dust off the old bike and go for a ride. It's good to hear your view on things so keep up the blogging!

    ReplyDelete