Thursday, August 1, 2013

Gender "Reveal"

I say "reveal" because most of you already know via Facebook or word of mouth what we're having. To the blogging world, though, it's my first chance to say we are having a boy! We are so thrilled! Throughout most of this pregnancy I've had a small feeling that our baby was a boy but I was afraid to commit to that feeling and be confident in it. What if it had been wrong? I didn't want to feel bad for saying it was a boy when it was a girl. If the baby had been a girl we would have been just as thrilled, though. I've just had a lot more thoughts of green and blue and dinosaurs in the back of my mind than of pink and frills. When we went to the ultrasound, before the tech had officially told us it was a boy she said something like, "He's really moving there," and immediately I jumped on that and said, "He???" and she just said, "Oh no, I said baby." But then, she was showing us his legs, which he'd stretched out for us and Bryan said, "Is that...?" Finally our waiting was done and she said, "Yep, it's a little boy!" The rest of the ultrasound (like an hour long!) was spent measuring different parts of his body and being jubilant. He had his head way down and was very good about showing his spine, heart, legs, arms, etc... but he just didn't want to show us his face. We got one good profile picture and a glance at his face as he moved. He was very wiggly! Anyway, it is such a relief to finally know and really start to be able to plan!

So... plans. We are painting our walls blue and just decided on the color after painting a couple of samples on the wall. It's so great to have our very own nursery meant just for baby, unlike in our previous rental, where we couldn't paint, use nails and it was two bedroom so baby would have shared with craft/storage/guest bed. I'm going for a blue and green dinosaur theme. I haven't been able to find any bedding sets in those colors with that theme so I'm just kind of making it up as I go. I found this neat dinosaur wall decal on Etsy that is a brontosaurus looking down into the crib. I got a stegosaurus picture at Target and am hoping to find it's pair somewhere in stores. I've started registering a little on Target.com and Amazon.com. I'm realizing more than ever just how expensive babies are! Today, I'm going to make baby some Pee Pee Tee Pees, which are pretty simple. My mom is going to come out in September and we're going to get busy sewing blankets and burp cloths for this little guy! So yeah, it's pretty much 90% of what I think about. We are between two names that we both like. Each of us leans toward one. We'll probably waiting until he's born and then choose, based on how we feel. His middle name will be Wallace, which is Bryan's middle name and the name of his great grandfather. I am told that he was a very good man. I think it's neat to make all the middle names significant to our family history.

I am grateful to have Bryan be this baby's dad. I think he is pretty excited but also pretty scared at the prospect of being a father. It probably won't even really sink in until someone lays this little boy in his arms. I know he's going to be a loving and helpful dad and that he's going to make our kids laugh every day just like he does with me. I'm grateful to be married to my best friend and I hope that our kids can see this as an example as they grow up. Marriage is kind of funny-- sometimes you think you know what you want and need and you find that in a person. Heavenly Father lets you try it out but knows, in the end, that he has a different and better plan for you. So, after that trial has passed and when the person and timing are right, He helps it happen. I feel like I can be completely myself around Bryan and I know that he was the right one for me and now we're really starting our little family! Anyway, sorry for the momentary cheese. I'll wrap this up by sharing a couple of pictures.

 Here is the aforementioned profile picture of baby.

 He's definitely a boy! This is the shot where Bryan said, "Is that...?" Just proving it to all of you!

Here I am at 20 weeks (about a week and a half ago). I'll try to get the rest of my bump shots up as I take them. I can't believe I still have 18.5 weeks to go... it's going to take forever!

1 comment: